Reviews Published Professional Reader Challenge Participant 80% 2016 NetGalley Challenge 50 Book Reviews

Saturday, April 7, 2018

P.S. I Hate You by Winter Renshaw

My Rating: 5 Stars
Sex Scenes: Yes.
Series: No.
Subject: Losing what you love might be the only way to make you accept that you do.
Synopsis:
Dear Isaiah, 

Eight months ago, you were just a soldier about to be deployed and I was just a waitress, sneaking you a free pancake and hoping you wouldn’t notice that my gaze was lingering a little too long. 

But you did notice. 

We spent one life-changing week together before you left, and we said goodbye on day eight, exchanging addresses at the last minute. 

I saved every letter you wrote me, your words quickly becoming my religion. 

But you went radio silent on me months ago, and then you had the audacity to walk into my diner yesterday and act like you’d never seen me in your life. 

To think … I almost loved you and your beautifully complicated soul. 

Almost. 

Whatever your reason is—I hope it’s a good one. 

Maritza the Waitress 

PS – I hate you, and this time … I mean it. 


AUTHOR’S NOTE: For a *limited time* the eBook version of P.S. I HATE YOU includes two bonus novels (ABSINTHE and DARK PROMISES). Rest assured P.S. I HATE YOU is still a full-length (~70k word) novel even though it might end around 33% on your device.














I have no idea how to start writing this review. I did not expect to be so affected by this book, but I found myself shedding tears at some moments because I’m living a similar situation to Maritza’s, and this book broke my heart.

Two strangers who decide to get to know one another for a week because they can feel there’s a real connection between them, but only as friends. I knew from the start, it was a recipe for disaster, that NEVER works out, if you are attracted to each other things will always get complicated for one or both parties. 

Military men like to think they can keep emotions separated; that lust doesn’t need to transform into love or get mixed up with jealousy. But that is almost never the case once you spend some time with the person you’re in lust with, for a couple of reasons. 
First, you obviously have a sexual attraction, but if you choose to hang out with them too, it’s because you actually like them, so basically you are having sex with someone who’s personality you like… . Second, unless you have some kind of trauma that stops you from loving people, eventually you will have feelings and it will only get confusing for everyone else if you try to deny them.

I know you can tell this is not only about the book… a lot of people have probably been where Maritza was and still chose to continue on that road, even though they knew that in the end they would only get hurt. Because sometimes you accept this short period of happiness knowing that eventually this will end, but you can’t deny yourself of this time, because it will be worth it, he is worth it.

I found myself laughing at Isaiah telling her that she should have fun and have sex, and not to forget that they were only friends and not dating. If I had a dime for every time I’ve heard this from my “friend” lol. It never works out like that, as we saw on his real reaction to her sleeping with someone else (been there done that). I could picture his face like if he was in front of me, Isaiah was pissed, because it’s one thing to say you don’t care what this person does, while they are there for you and they don’t want anyone else, and it’s way different when this person takes your advise and starts to move on. 

These types of guys that get scared at feelings, usually experience this moment like Isaiah, when they are faced with the fact that not only they care about this girl, but they care A LOT, and they have no idea what to do about it.

Maritza had to let go of him and it almost killed her, but sometimes you have to let people go, and they might come back to you. Maybe really losing you is the only way for them to truly accept their feelings for what they are. But you can’t wait for them forever, otherwise you risk being unhappy for the rest of your life, while you waited for someone that is never coming back.

Sorry for the downer fest, but I truly connected with this book, so the review is way more personal than what I’m used to. I really enjoyed the story, and it was evident they were perfect for each other, they just had to adjust the timing and things would work themselves out.








No comments:

Post a Comment